Monday 17 September 2012

Masters, Mistress of the Arts, College and Portfolios

It's that time of year again, where students are heading to college. All the hard work preparing the portfolios is a distant memory, and its time to get in there... To all of you, I wish you well.  Remember that you got the place because you are so worthy. And if you want to do something, know that you CAN, you just have to get on with it.

Well, today was MY first day at college too.. I'm (finally) doing my Masters (MFA) in Multidisciplinary Design - a very exciting and stimulating time ahead, hopefully. Though I have to admit I have trouble with the masculinity of the title. I understand the value of being the Master of your discipline, but as the undergraduate is called a Bachelor (as opposed to an Apprentice...), then perhaps the girls ought to be Mistresses? Though I appreciate that this might be a little awkward at polite gatherings, when you say you're at college studying for your Mistress...

Here's me in my new school uniform outside college...


I'm delighted to say that one of the first people I bumped into (not literally), was Brendan, a mature student of mine, who is starting his Bachelors  in the building across the road. I am responsible for helping Brendan focus his efforts enough to get a place at college and Brendan is responsible for me accidentally applying for my course. So we're in this thing together...

My thoughts are with all of you starting at colleges all over the place - work hard, and don't get overwhelmed. And remember, if you don't understand something, ask them to tell you again...! And folks, regarding that word 'Portfolio'... for my interview I scooped up examples of everything I've been doing for the past while. So the portfolio was a case to carry my work in. That's all it is. Its not about the portfolio, its about the You that's in it.

Next up - weekly classes in Drawing and Painting, Belfast
Portrait workshops with Mama Kaz modelling
Water colour and Oils workshops
Drawing for college students, Dublin.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Julie, congratulations with your new adventure. I hope you will have a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Ans, you should see the homework, YIKES....!

    ReplyDelete