Monday 7 November 2022

Conkering watercolour! Student artworks

 I love Autumn, with the bounty of seed pods and colour offered by the season. This year, the conkers were wonderfully spiky - sometimes they are lumpy instead so I guess it is something to do with the weather. The first ones I found were in August, in Lincoln - absolute whoppers! I bagged a few for my children's class, but they were not ripe and I had serious difficulty opening them. (note: do not try opening unripe conkers infant of a children's class, it will make you look weak and puny...!!) When I did manage to open them, the conkers were tiny and some were white in colour. Wrong on every level!

Spikey-licious!

 


By Jane - the one on the right is unfinished, but still rather appealing!


Above and below - these artworks are by Jane M. Some graphite, some watercolour, some coloured pencils. 
Below - also by Jane M, this graphite study (below) of a horse's eye is remarkably similar to the characteristics of a conker! This beautifully illustrates my constant reminder not to think of what the object IS when we are drawing, but to look  instead at shapes, tones, contrasts and colour. 


Students walking-the-walk at tea break, to give their eyes a rest from looking at their own work, and enjoy seeing how others have talked the same subject. 

For info on courses and workshops please email julie@juliedouglas.co.uk

ForJulie's work check out the website - www. juliedouglas.co.uk 


No comments:

Post a Comment