Thursday 9 December 2021

Drawing and Doughnuts and Queen's University, student artworks. A well being session

I recently gave a drawing workshop to a group of students who are studying at Queen's University, Belfast. they were from all different subject areas, from Economics to Philosophy, languages to IT. Every subject, except art. I admire universities and colleges who encourage student interaction outside of their immediate comfort zone, and this mix of students paid attention and came up with great results. I appreciate that some of them may have turned up because of the bribe of 'doughnuts', but they all drew while they munched! 


The challenge for me was that I only had an hour or so. What to teach for such a short period of time...? I decided on spheres, using compressed charcoal on tinted paper. This medium is fairly swift to use, and the lecture was about LIGHT and SHADOWS. 

My demo board, including explanatory labels about light and lack of light. 


Oil painting demos of sphere and egg shape, showing light and shadow behaviour. 










The results! All excellent! 


It was good fun to go out of the studio to teach for a change. 

For info on weekly classes, workshops and group sessions please email julie@juliedouglas.co.uk

Website: www.juliedouglas.co.uk 





No comments:

Post a Comment