Wednesday 31 July 2013

Oil painting, close-up of hair. 10in x 12 in on Primed board.

 It didn't occur to me when I began this painting that people wouldn't be able to tell what it is. But no one can..! Which doesn't matter at all, I did it to practice using the paint, and am very happy with the result.

It started life as a drawing on tracing paper...


A tonal layer to help me not get lost.. (didn't work, I got lost regularly) 


 The second layer, blocking in colour in more detail. 


At this point (above) I had to stop and work on the portrait commissions. A break of about 3 weeks, but it was at a good point to leave it. When we leave anything, even if only overnight, it's important for it to be at a stage where we can pick it up easily, without feeling too daunted. 

Lots of fiddling and layering. 





There now. Can you tell what it is? 
If not, we'll let sleeping dogs lie, for I'm not telling!

Next up, Water Colour workshop, intensive portfolio course, childrens drawing and painting workshop.  For details email julie@juliedouglas.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment