Wednesday 23 February 2011

Oil Painting Portrait

This is the first head I have painted in oils. I started the Learning-to-use-Oils project in July 2009, by trial and error, of purely still life, mostly of fruit on white cloth. Each one was 6inx6in, and while I had no idea what I was doing, it was addictive and frustrating and fast and...fun. I used canvas for the first year till a friend, who had also tried his hand at oil, badgered me into trying to paint on board. How I snobbily resisted. Eventually, to please him, I did. And what a difference.. For me, its slower, but I like the smooth finish. I'm still learning, still feel excited when I feel how oily one colour is against how dry and reluctant another may be. Still reeling at the cost of some tubes.. But I buy them anyway! (artist quality only folks, otherwise, trust me, you may as well not bother).
My favourite subjects are people and animals, so I finally took the plunge and had a go at painting Rodney, my local Dry Cleaner, as he has a great head. I found the painting difficult (SKIN TONES????!!), as I do every time, but I took a break from it for a few days and was glad to get back to it, and it only took about 4 days. I gave him a little more hair after this shot, and recoated the back ground.. Not the clearest photo, very hard to photograph, but you get the idea..  Hope you like it. And yes, Rodney says he likes it very much, Aw.


Next up, Big Drawing Workshop Saturday 26th Feb, Killaloe, Co Clare Ireland
Water Colour Workshop Sunday 27th Feb, Dublin Ireland
Call or email to book. www.juliedouglas.co.uk
Phone - from UK 07730 560 517 from Ireland 087 1330040

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Julie. Especially like the reflected light on his chin. You have got it goin' on.

    Suzette in Atlanta, GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, that portrait of Rodney is so good. His personality is really showing. Some portraits may be accurate as far as likeness is concerned, but devoid of the human spark. Makes me really pleased to be one of your students.has Rodney seen it yet? I'm sure he will be delighted.
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete