Saturday 15 June 2024

This week in the studio we painted...

Quails eggs and pebbles! This subject is just gorgeous to paint - I love the similarities of shape and scale and pattern. Luckily, my students loved it too. There is not much drawing involved, leaving more time during class to spend on the paint layering. 


 
I bought the eggs first, and then headed to the shore to try to find pebbles of a similar size. A rather addictive habit, once you start spotting little stones. 


Above - this photo shows the start of my demonstration. I worked on several stones/pebbles at a time, which meant that I didn't 'poke' around when things got too wet to play with (I don't like waiting for things to dry...), but instead transferred my attention to another pebble to build up the layers gently. 


I worked in a Moleskine book, A4 size, and used the page next to my drawing for colour tiles, as well as demo-ing possible processes. 
Above - the finished demo. 
Below - eggs for lunch! It took 9 eggs to make a modest amount of scrambled egg. But the biggest joy was the colour of the shells on the inside when I cracked them open - the softest, gentlest shades of blue. Delicious. 

For info on workshops, including watercolour, colour pencil and oils,  email julie@juliedouglas.co.uk 



No comments:

Post a Comment