Friday 13 September 2013

EHOD - location drawing in Belfast

This weekend is European Heritage Open Days and I'm holding a couple of drawing sessions in two fabulous buildings as part of that.
I always visit a site before taking students, just to make sure there are good angles and if possible, comfy seats, and to do some drawings.


 For this view, no comfy seats, but we sat on the side bar of the bus shelter (on location, an ability to adapt is vital!), which proved extra useful when it began raining.

My student friend Jayne came with me (Jayne is addicted to location drawing, good woman!) and we couldn't believe it, when we put our drawings together they almost joined up! These drawings took about 40 minutes. 


 The other location was more challenging. Huge interior, very structural with few soft edges. What to draw...?? Eventually I spotted some cast heads up by the ceiling so thought I'd challenge my eyesight and draw one of those. I have to say this is the most uncomfortable I have ever been in producing a drawing, it was a total endurance test. I was, in fact, a bit lower down than the photo shows, wedged between rows of seat. After three minutes my legs were locked and my neck was really sore. But that was nothing compared to the torture of the thumpimg of the piano tuner, on the stage below me.


I soldiered on, and was surprised when I finished to see that it had taken two hours to do the drawing. The piano tuner finished moments before I did - as I was leaving, the maintenance folks were arriving, and were beginning the hammering required to lift the flooring. I was delighted to miss THAT!

If you'd like to come and do some drawing at the weekend (don't worry, I've found a good comfy spot for students, no pain at all) please email me for details and bookings. It is free but you need to bring your own materials.

julie@juliedouglas.co.uk


1 comment:

  1. I love your drawing, well worth the stiff neck and piano tuner! How do you get the pencil to look so soft and real! And full of detail... Amazing

    ReplyDelete